Purpose:

This is for all of you who were wondering what we've been up to, out here on the coast. We hope you get some entertainment out of our experiences!

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Call me crazy, but...

Living in coastal North Carolina isn't exactly what I had in mind, when I was growing up. Of course, being on the east coast is very different than waking up every morning and spending quality time in "God's Country" - AKA Indiana! For instance, I have been searching for an apple orchard around here, so that I could pick us some yummy fruit and possibly can some applesauce for our baby to use. While I'm at it, I should be honest and mention that a homemade apple pie sounded pretty dog on delicious, too. Did you know the closest orchard is approximately 4 hours away from us? Here's another thing people around here do not know they are missing, COMBINES! Yes, for those back at home, I miss getting stuck behind a combine, on our country roads! I miss the dust from harvest, I miss running food out to the guys in the field, I even miss seeing farmers (and my dad) dusty and aggravated from a broke down machine. I miss the grain trucks driving by, I miss seeing fields opened up after months of beans or corn decorating their landscape, and I even miss seeing deer run out in front of me!
Here in North Carolina, I am just excited to see dark clouds and feel rain drizzle down my face. Speaking of rain, our area has had over 10" since Sunday, and it is pouring as I write this. Chase is not so thrilled about working on the aircraft during this type of weather, but we both like hearing the rain on the roof and the distant sound of thunder, or is that artillery going off?  Deer, ... let me tell you about our deer. Around here, we do not have deer, we have Bambies! We like to go in and visit the game warden at Camp Lejeune, and the deer they have showcased in their office don't even compare to the button bucks we have back at home. Get this, though. There are bears here! The game wardens are very funny and approachable, they told us "If it's brown, shoot it!" This applies to both bear and deer! They seem a lot less strict than the DNR I've encountered through the years. Oh, while I am at it, I may as well tell you what else the game wardens mentioned... Chase and a friend are planning on cutting firewood this fall, as our friend has a wood burning fireplace in his apartment. Well, we filled out the forms, to cut firewood on base, and I particularaly didn't want to use a chain saw, but figured I could carry the wood, while the guys cut it. The game warden said that was fine, but to be sure to wear snake boots! WHOA! Let's just stop this apple cart, right here. SNAKES??? Apparently some sort of diamand back, and several other kinds of snakes, have infested the base and can be very dangerous. Let's just say I don't need those snake boots, I'll keep my happy, little (okay, I am pregnant, so maybe it's not so little) hiney away from those woods and wait until those monsters decide to sleep, or hibernate, then maybe...

No comments:

Post a Comment