![]() |
| Just what exactly are we getting ourselves into? |
It's official, ya'all! Less than two months until our lil' guy gets here! Wow, time has flown by. According to babycenter.com, this is what's going on with Slater this week:
This week your baby weighs a little over 4 pounds (heft a pineapple) and has passed the 17-inch mark. He's rapidly losing that wrinkled, alien look and his skeleton is hardening. The bones in his skull aren't fused together, which allows them to move and slightly overlap, thus making it easier for him to fit through the birth canal. These bones don't entirely fuse until early adulthood, so they can grow as his brain and other tissue expands during infancy and childhood.
What happens when you progress in your pregnancy? You drag the hubby to birthing classes with you, that's what! Chase and I attended our first birthing class last night. We were under the impression it was just going to be a simple 2 hour class, and we'd get out of there, no problem, right? WRONG! During the first few minutes, our instructor informed us it was a 5 week course that meets every week! Holy Cow, is there really that much to go over? Apparently so!
Speaking of the instructor, Chase and I were both surprised when a male showed up to teach our class! Lo' and behold, he's a certified Nurse Practitioner and Certified Nurse Mid Wife. He seemed really knowledgeable, experienced (he's delivered over 5000 babies!), friendly, and funny. But really, he can't honestly say, "Oh, I know exactly what you're going through," am I right?
Anyways, let me get back to the birthing class experience. We arrived a few minutes early for the class, just to make sure we knew what building we were supposed to be in. Shortly after we got there, other couples began arriving, and they were carrying blankets and pillows! We never got the memo about bringing anything with us, I thought I was doing good because I had a pen and some paper in my purse. Perhaps this was an early sign that we were on our way of failing this first class?
By the time the instructor was 10 minutes into his presentation, I could tell Chase was ready to bust out of the joint. The instructor was funny, but Chase just really wanted him to get to the point so we could get out of there. After the presentation, the instructor allowed a 5 minute break. We came back to the room to find a live birth video ready to be played on the big screen. I kept thinking, "Umm, how is my big, bad Marine of a husband going to handle this?" The answer was not so well!
Chase turned a little pale and was shaking during most of the video. He even thought he was going to pass out. You should have seen his reaction when the baby was born. He said, "That's not human!" and continued by saying, "God did not intend for this!" The best part was when the placenta had to be delivered. Chase leaned over towards me and whispered, "Did that baby's head just pop off????" He was serious. I couldn't stop laughing, and may I just mention we were sitting in the front row? I've seen many sows farrow, and I guess I just kept comparing this birth video to my experience in the farrowing room, but Chase was another matter entirely. How do you not laugh when you have a husband that is rough and tough, ask you questions like this? Sign number 2 that we were to fail this first evening of class.
Post birth video, the instructor introduced us to Guided Imagery. It was a CD that focused on meditation. The sounds coming from the CD included birds chirping, soft sounds of a river, and just mainly made us feel like we were in a little woods enjoying the outdoors. The speaker on the CD kept saying in a soft, relaxing voice, "You are loved." She then said, "you jump into the river and the water is the perfect temperature for you. Now, you go under the fountain." At this time, I wanted to lean over and ask Chase if he brought his fishing poles, but I could already hear my husband trying to smother his laughter. I kept my eyes closed and tried to follow along, but it was getting pretty difficult. Towards the end of the CD, the voice said, "You are loved, let it all out." Sure enough, Chase did as she requested. He let it all out! He was laughing so hard, trying to smother it, and it came out like a squeal! I couldn't help myself, I don't see Chase this way very often, and I ended up busting out, laughing at him. The rest of the room was silent, the 40 other people there didn't really know what was going on with us. Our poor instructor didn't look that thrilled with us, however, that hasn't stopped Chase and I from laughing whenever one of us says, "You are loved."
I tell you, if you ever want to see a Expert Rifle Qualified, Wood Chopping, Outdoor loving Marine double over in laughter and behave like a giggly school girl, just tell him, "Let it all out" in a soft, comforting voice.
Here's to next weeks class going a little smoother!
![]() |
| Mike's Farm - 10/23/2010 |


No comments:
Post a Comment